Pages

Saturday, July 21, 2012

One Hundred Year Summer


One Hundred Year Summer

Now don’t get too excited, this was the statement our tour guide gave us in the afternoon. Like we hadn’t already wondered if there was ever a summer here. But apparently we are lucky enough to be here when they are experiencing their coldest summer for a hundred years! Bargain!!

We had a tour which took us to The Hague, Delft and Madurodam. Places of interest, yep.  I just was so pleased I wasn’t driving – the wrong side of the road caper would have done me in, I am sure. But sitting in a double decker bus was pure luxury! First stop was to the Delft Pauw centre, which is one of the few places where you can view (and buy) the traditional hand painted ceramics. I have a small collection which I carried home from China in my handbag, and I was dying to add some Dutch pieces to it! It did not disappoint. They even have a workshop which you can do, (shane it’s on my list) but we watched them paint, and heard the spiel about how it is made. Excellent stuff, the biggest surprise was how small the place was. Just a small two storey building, yep, with more steps. Do not visit Amsterdam if you are on crutches, in a wheelchair or have a kid in a stroller. Hell, is what it would be.  But I found one small piece to buy, so I was really wrapped, oh and some earrings which amazingly enough go with a necklace I bought in Dublin.

Then we trundled off to the Hague. Law centre, parliament place, think Canberra or Wellington. We were informed that the people here are more reserved that the Dutch Amsterdamians… as nice as they have been, relaxed and carefree are not two words which spring to mind to describe native Amsterdamians….. I’m thinking they probably need a bit of sedative when they hit Aus, if they think they are relaxed…. Our lifestyle and attitudes must be a complete shock.
Had a photo shoot stop at the Peace Palace – the place where if you don’t like your country neighbour you can go and scrap it out with words, not weapons…. Pity more people don’t use it properly.

Then Madurodam – a place which has recreated all of Holland’s iconic features in  small-scale replicas. Fabulous little spot, which unless one of my student’s had not mentioned it in their assignment, I wouldn’t have known existed. Ethan would love it. Super cool place. We spent an hour here and got the cutest souvenirs, you put your money in and then a wee pair of clogs drop into a truck and come out for you to collect. Definitely want to come back here. 

I have to say, I am loving eating out twice a day too. 
 

No comments: